Friday, July 18, 2014

Social Media Etiquette - Mini Bloggiesta

Some rules of etiquette are so common they are just ingrained in our brains. Say please and thank you, don't wear white to a wedding (unless you're the bride!), and if you're on a date at least pretend to go for the check. But what about the rules of etiquette for the relatively new world of social media?

While many of us are becoming accustomed to strange grammar, shortcuts, and symbols to replace words in order to say as much as possible in 140 characters or less on Twitter, it is not necessary to use such shortcuts on Facebook or Linked or Pinterest...sites where people want to know about you and don't want to work so hard to understand what you are talking about.  Do you agree?  #MissSocialMediaManners #SocialMediaSaturdays #ChiToBe


I'm sure a lot of you bloggers are on many different social media platforms, and I'm sure you're all pros. But here are some helpful reminders, just in case!

1. Be responsive! This doesn't mean that you have to be attached to your phone/computer at all times. It does mean that you should always set time aside to respond to tweets, messages, and comments. Blogging should be a conversation.

2. If you are having a personal problem with someone (an author, a reader, another blogger) don't air your grievances in public places. Use private messaging or email. You don't want to put your readers in an unnecessarily uncomfortable position, and it's just not professional or respectful.

3.Be appropriate. Take care about where you post links to your blog. If you only review military history books don't spam a community garden forum with your links. (That's kind of a weird example, but you know what I mean). Know who your audience is and figure out the best way for you and your blog to reach them!

4.Don't post if you're drunk, tired, or angry. You might be in for a rude awakening when you sober up/wake up/calm down. Once something is out there in the interwebs it's out there forever and you don't want regrets!

5. Be kind. A good general rule in life, right? Build up your fellow bloggers; tell them that you thought their review was spot on, or that the picture of their adorable dog on their instagram made your day! We're all on the same book loving team!

Who is willing to hear my weird social media confession?

 When I find a new blog to read I usually follow the blog on bloglovin' first. But then I hesitate to "like" their facebook page, follow them on instagram, and the like. I hesitate because I'm scared that the blogger will see that I suddenly am all about them and their blog and that they'll think to themselves "creeeeeeeper". This is totally dumb, because if one of my readers does that I don't have that thought at all. So moral of the story, don't be like me. I'm trying to get better about it!

So here is your challenge! Look at the blogs you follow or read regularly. I bet there are couple social media platforms that they use. Pick a few blogs and like at least one of their social media platforms that you don't already communicate with them on. You never know, they could be a hilarious tweeter or have a great goulash recipe on one of their pinterest boards!

I will update when I finish this challenge myself!

Update!

I got on my bloglovin list and on my twitter account to add some blogs that I already read and enjoy, now I get to read and enjoy their tweets too: Doing Dewey, Wensend, Kari AnnAlysis, Relentless Read and Angela's Anxious Life. Ta da! I might even add a few more as the weekend goes on!

27 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder to go look for fave blogs in other platforms. I HATE IT when I realize, after months of reading a blog, that somehow I wasn't following on Twitter. What the? All great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I need to check twitter and make sure I'm following blog's twitters. I bet I'm missing a lot of them!

      Delete
  2. Your second point is such a great one. I think most of us are pretty good about it, but I think some people think "honesty is the best policy", and maybe it is...just not in front of everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm all about working out issues but keep it to the people it actually concerns. I'm all about keeping the drama level low, none of us are here for that! (I think,haha)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! And your confession cracks me up! Don't worry - it's not creeper at all! (Or maybe I just tell that to myself and the rest of the world thinks I'm creeper-ish - haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get paranoid that sometimes my excitement comes off as weird.I just get excited by fun new things, haha!

      Delete
  4. Completely agree with all these tips (especially # 2!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks t! I loved your author signing post today too. You got fun beverages at yours! I'm a little jealous.

      Delete
  5. Very good post! Etiquette is always a plus no matter the situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! On and offline it's always good to be kind and considerate. (easier said than done sometimes with some people, haha!)

      Delete
  6. Oh no - I am probably the creeper! When I find a blog I like, I generally follow it on Twitter and Bloglovin...and sometimes on Google+ or Facebook! And - I love it when I see someone has followed me in multiple places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Sarah you are totally not! It's just me being paranoid. I like seeing when my blog gets followed multiple places too, which makes the paranoia even weirder!

      Delete
  7. I started doing this when I opened an instagram account, I went to Feedly and opened up every blog and made sure I was overfollowing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of the drunk tweets are hilarious, though!! ;) Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome tips! No. 2 irks me on twitter since it puts a lot of people in a weird position, like you said, very uncomfortable! LOVE your confession -- I guess I am guiltly of being a creeper hahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no one really wants to watch a twitter train wreck (for too long at least!). You're totally not a creeper, I'm just paranoid. It's a good challenge for me for bloggiesta, haha!

      Delete
  10. Great tips on here. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice, especially #1! I think a lot of the rest of blogging etiquette flows obviously for the etiquette we use in our daily lives, but I think the fact that blogging can be more rewarding as a conversation isn't always obvious to new bloggers, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, all these rules could be applies to life as humans in general! It's time consuming to comment on people's blogs but I think both people/blogs are really enriched for it. Worth time time commitment!

      Delete
  12. Fabulous tips -- I esp appreciate your comment to "Build up your fellow bloggers" -- the community of caring bloggers is what has sustained me -- more than the free books or publicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, free books are great but friends are priceless! (And take up less shelf space!)

      Delete
  13. WOOT WOOT! I am so glad you found me.. though I hope my twitter account is entertaining enough. LOLOL!! I agree about setting aside time to tweet/comment whatever. That is what I am doing right now while watching Big Brother. It is very important to set aside time for this or you might get burnout from trying to do it all the time. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure it will as gloriously entertaining as your blog :)

      Delete
  14. Great post! It's funny because just today I've found about three blogs that I've followed for a while and wasn't following on Twitter. I was shocked! Such a good reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!